Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Breyers Lowfat Yogurt Inspirations


Breyers is not my usual brand of yogurt. But when I saw the Breyers Inspirations lowfat yogurt in mint chocolate chip, I had to buy a package. I've got to say, it's not half bad.

The mint flavor is unexpected in a yogurt, but it does remind me half-melted mint chocolate chip frozen yogurt which makes it seem more acceptable. The chocolate flavored chips (not actual chocolate) melt nicely compared to some fake chocolate products which can be chalky or have a weird texture. I think the coconut oil helps them melt on your tongue.

I tend to like a yogurt in the 60-100 calorie range and these are 140 each which puts them a little high for me. But these are low fat as opposed to the nonfat yogurts I usually choose.

A bit about gelatin in yogurt: Yes it contains gelatin, which most yogurts do. This makes it not vegetarian if you are strict about that sort of thing. I tend to think the benefits of yogurt offset the minute amount of gelatin in there but if given a choice I try to choose those that do NOT contain gelatin. You may notice most yogurts mention kosher gelatin. I REALLY wish they would mention the source of the gelatin and not just that it is kosher. Specifying kosher gelatin does not mean it is not from cow or fish and unless they mention the use of a non-animal kosher gelling agent like agar-agar, guar gum, carrageenan, or xanthan gum it is safe to assume that the kosher gelatin used is from animal sources. Some yogurts, such as Dannon Naturals, use pectin instead of gelatin.

INGREDIENTS: CULTURED PASTEURIZED GRADE A SKIM MILK, FRUCTOSE, SUGAR, CHOCOLATE FLAVORED CHIPS (COCONUT OIL, SUGAR, COCOA {PROCESSED WITH ALKALI}, COCOA BUTTER, NATURAL FLAVOR), CORNSTARCH, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CREAM, KOSHER GELATIN, TAPIOCA STARCH, PECTIN, NATURAL FLAVOR.

1 comment:

N.D. said...

no idea they made this!